As we narrowed down the list of FounderFuel applications for the 2019 cohort, we were looking for mission-driven entrepreneurs building innovative tech companies that will have large-scale positive impacts on society. Founders with deep domain expertise, sharp thinking, focus and relentless execution. Both ambitious and humble.Planning the 12th cohort of FounderFuel in late 2018, our goal was to assure continuity. We have the benefit of hindsight, an established track record, and have now accelerated 94 companies. Of those, 27 have raised seed funding after the program, 11 have raised Series A and Series B rounds, and 9 have been acquired (see the complete list on our companies highlights page). We have already published what we learned in the recruitment process, but today we want to dig into what we look for in startups... and the final results of this year’s contest. FounderFuel is broad – we do not have a sector-specific thesis – it is horizontal by design. We take chances with B2C companies, hardware startups, unsexy industries with huge markets, companies before product market fit and without revenue, scientists becoming founders, hackers becoming entrepreneurs. We search for applied AI, for companies creating data in industries and sectors where it is scarce, and for people using technology to solve important and tangible problems. We also specifically looked out for women founders. In our 2019 cohort, women co-founders represented 45% of our top 20 finalists and 37% of the final selection. With all that in mind, we are proud to present the FounderFuel 2019 cohort, a diverse and exciting crew of fantastic founders!
- NameShouts by Naureen and Chaity: Helping people take the first step in every relationship – learning a new name.
- Willful by Erin, Kevin and Matt: The future of estate planning – online wills made easy.
- PowerTree by David and Mat: A platform that gives building operators and owners real-time access to their electrical infrastructure and key analytics.
- Gravy by Ben, Josh and David: Personalizing the digital ordering experience for restaurants.
- BoxKnight by Peter, Maya and Hasan: Same-day and scheduled deliveries from e-commerce merchants, picked up from storefronts and powered by the gig economy.
- LiveScale by Virgile, Laurent and Geoffroy: Transforming online commerce into live shopping experiences for the mobile-first generation.
- HALEO by Brad, Philippe and Quentin: A guide that enables people experiencing poor sleep and mental illness to feel better.
- OSCP by Kazem and Yoann: Integrated precise and reliable motion sensing solution.